United We Ride/Mobility Services for All Americans demonstration of coordinated human-services transportation models at the Montachusett Area Regional Transit Authority.
This report presents the results of a 16-month project for system development and design of a model for a Travel Management Coordination Center (TMCC) using ITS capabilities by the Montachusett Area Regional Transit Authority (MART). The system, MART Integrated Traveler Services (M-ITS), was designed as a tool to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and data, enabling seamless coordination of transportation across geographic regions, programs, funding entities, private/public/non-profit providers, caregivers, and travel coordinators. This program provides a platform in which providers and travelers have access to the same system (using the internet) and can achieve more efficient transportation utilization. At the same time, providers can achieve more cooperation among themselves by sharing resources and benefits.
Cost data for three phases of the M-ITS project are available: Design Phase, Implementation Phase, and Operational Phase.
The Design Phase (I) of this project was estimated to cost $372,000.
The Implementation Phase (II) was broken up into two pieces, 2009-2010 and 2011-2012. Funding for the 2009-2010 period included:
- $100,000 was funded by the FTA to fund a "pre-deployment" phase
- $500,000 was funded by KTI to deploy the vendor management component, including 120 MDTs for KTI. KTI, a vendor stakeholder, arranged to pay through an installment plan with MART. This implementation is completed and in place.
- $310,000 was funded by MART to deploy the pilot eFareCard as well as a 3rd-Party Swipe-Card component of the project.
- $25,000 was provided by MART to deploy the Text Messaging Server project.
- $150,000 was funded by American Training to implement the vendor component of the project, including 30 Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs) for American Training, a vendor in the project.
The total for the 2009-2010 period was $1,085,000.
Funding for the 2011-2012 period included:
- $135,000 was funded by MART and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) from the New Freedom program for expansion of the Text My Ride component of the M-ITS project.
- $2,350,000 was funded by MART and MassDOT from the Veterans Transportation and Community Living Initiative (VTCLI) grant program to expand the "One Call / One Click" (aka M-ITS) technology infrastructure, designed and developed by MART for HST transportation to include veterans' transportation needs.
The total for the 2011-2012 implementation period was $2,485,000. Total cost for design and implementation was $3,942,000.
The M-ITS operational phase is estimated to cost roughly $100,000–$350,000 per year in technical support, continued development, and hosting costs.
UWR/MSAA Demonstration of Coordinated Human-Services Transportation Models— Phase II: Phased Implementation
Design and implementation of a travel management coordination center cost $3,942,000.