The 1999 survey indicated the following features were desirable:
Information on traffic internet sites:
- The presence of a metro area map.
- Real-time traffic information beyond the metro area.
- Incident information.
- Real-time camera views.
- The presence of a metro area map supporting point-and-click inquiries for traffic conditions.
- Prevailing speeds for highway segments.
- Real-time travel times between markers.
- Links to information about other modes of transportation or programs.
- Special services.
- Frequency of site updates.
Information on transit internet sites:
- The presence of a system map.
- The presence of a system map clearly showing transfer points.
- The presence of a system map supporting point-and-click inquiries for transit status.
- Links/information for the other transit authorities in the given metro area.
- Real-time information.
- Schedule and fare information.
- Itinerary planning services.
- Links to information about other modes of transportation.
- Email link/address for customer feedback.
- Telephone number for customer feedback.
The most sought-after traffic information is not available in most metropolitan areas of the country.
Private web sites have more features related to traffic information, and public sites have more features related to transit information.
(Our website has many links to other organizations. While we offer these electronic linkages for your convenience in accessing transportation-related information, please be aware that when you exit our website, the privacy and accessibility policies stated on our website may not be the same as that on other websites.)