Traffic incidents pose three primary concerns:
- Traffic congestion delay, including delay to emergency responders;
- Increased risk of secondary crashes;
- Risk to incident responders.
The goal of efficient incident management is to:
- Reduce the duration of traffic incidents, without compromising effective investigation by law enforcement agencies.
- Protect traffic incident responders by limiting their time at a scene.
- Reduce the risk of secondary crashes.
- Manage traffic around incidents to reduce congestion delay, and minimize the amount of traffic flowing past the incident scene.
(Our website has many links to other organizations. While we offer these electronic linkages for your convenience in accessing transportation-related information, please be aware that when you exit our website, the privacy and accessibility policies stated on our website may not be the same as that on other websites.)