2009 ITS Annual Report Minnesota Department of Transportation Office of Traffic, Safety and Technology ITS Section
The Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Section of the Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) Office of Traffic, Safety and Technology (OTST) performs research, demonstrations, and operational tests of ITS transportation solutions. The annual report of the Mn/DOT OTST ITS Section’s funded activities for fiscal year July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2009 presents:
- Technology Development Projects that develop innovative solutions to present day-to-day problems.
- Operational Tests and Demonstrations that test the functionality, benefits, and costs of new or emerging technologies in real-world environments.
- Technology Deployment Projects that place technology solutions in the hands of travelers and transportation professionals, to benefit users on a daily basis.
The benefits of the Deer Detection and Warning System were as follows:
- Reduced the number of deer/vehicle crashes in a troublesome location by 56%
- Testing the system resulted in fewer crashes, and fewer potential deaths, injuries, and property damage.