It is vital to market the benefits of roadway pricing projects throughout the lifespan of these projects as the initial reaction to these projects is typically negative. Specific strategies to help improve outreach and the perception of these projects includes the following:
- Emphasize the potential benefits of the project to users in messaging and use language that focuses on choice and value.
- Emphasize the pricing project as part of a greater, regional strategy.
- Users and those who benefit from the pricing projects are "customers" not "drivers." The term customer implies a relationship, rather than the generic and impersonal "driver."
- Continue outreach once the project opens and inform the public of the successes of the project, such as revenue for other transportation project and improved mobility.
- Directly and transparently address community concerns and questions.
(Our website has many links to other organizations. While we offer these electronic linkages for your convenience in accessing transportation-related information, please be aware that when you exit our website, the privacy and accessibility policies stated on our website may not be the same as that on other websites.)